Scholarship Program History and Description
The Pinewood Players Scholarship Program (PPSP) was established in 2015 to promote and encourage higher education in fields related to Performing Arts, including students who desire to teach Performing Arts. Scholarship awards are intended to aid students who have a close connection to Munds Park, maintain high scholastic grade averages, and demonstrate leadership qualities.
Pinewood Players will award up to two scholarships of $2000 each to the most qualified applicants each year. Preference will be given to graduating high school seniors. However, students already in college can be considered. A qualifying student may attend any accredited two or four year college or university without regard to location, but full time enrollment is required.
A Pinewood Players scholarship is not a general scholarship and does not apply to all students. The intent is to promote education in fields related to Performing Arts. This includes, but is not limited to Theater, Music, Dance, Technical Fields such as lighting, sound, scene design, and as an Educator in any of these fields. However, Pinewood Players recognizes that it is sometimes difficult to pursue a successful career in these fields. For this reason, students who attended at least two Pinewood Players Drama Camps are now eligible to apply for the PWP Scholarship to focus on disciplines other than the arts. The expectation is that a successful candidate will complete appropriate course work regardless of the higher education discipline they choose to pursue. Some of the criteria that will be considered in the choice of candidates are:
- Experience in high school drama or community theater productions, either onstage or back-stage or attendance of two years or more of PWP Drama Camp
- Experience in other Performing Arts activities and/or producing, or attendance of two years or more of PWP Drama Camp
- Academic performance, including the maintenance of a 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale
- Extracurricular activities
- Work experience
- A one page double-spaced essay on how the student expects to use her or his education, including
- those classes expected to be taken in fields related to Performing Arts
- A letter of recommendation from a faculty member or guidance counselor
- The applicant’s official high school transcript (also college, if the applicant is already a college student)
- The applicant will need to attach an 8 x 10 photograph of yourself Note: Applicants should understand that by submitting this application their name and photograph maybe used by the Pinewood Players for promotional purposes in the future.
For more information, contact Terri Peach at firstname.lastname@example.org or (623)628-6516